ColourOfSpring - 7:57 pm on Jun 28, 2013 (gmt 0)
I don't think personal attacks are especially useful. Mr Cutts is just one person in a major corporation. What he says probably reflects what he is told, he doesn't write the algo.
To be fair, Matt Cutts is a lightning rod for Google - he's there to soak up the flak from webmasters and at the same time, feed them with enough information to appease them, but at the same time, make that information ambiguous enough to sound useful without actually being so. Google knew long ago that there'd need to be a conduit between them and webmasters - Matt Cutts is the man. The disavow tool is the software equivilant of Matt Cutts - it doesn't actually do much 99% of the time, but that 1% that it does do something useful is that people remember. The other 99% of the time it's a case of people craving the puzzle to solve rather than thinking "hey, why doesn't this actually work?"
When someone's spent so much time on following Google's guidelines, and Matt Cutts is there smiling away telling you that you are doing everything right, but the SERPs tell you a 100% opposite reality to the fiction, then it's hardly a surprise someone gets angry at the lightning rod - that conduit - that mislead them in regards to what Google reward.