GeraniumV - 12:52 am on Jun 7, 2013 (gmt 0)
Hi, after doing more analysis - I was hit late on 7th/8th - but that's nothing compared to the real problem.
The fall on my main sections has been happening for a while - I get a seasonal drop - so it wasn't a worry at first.
Here's the history:
In April I deleted some sections which were basically thin affiliate stuff, and beefed up some smaller sections. The beefed up stuff is doing great.
Unfortunately I made some changes to the main section that I thought were minor but have been a disaster.
1) I took some of the affiliate products from the deleted sections and turned them into rotating ads. Unfortunately I had a typo instead of re="nofollow", I had re="nofollow" that can't be good - I only found it because I used one of the W3C verification tools. That's fixed.
2) I also screwed up the rewrite for the main sections by moving a line of code to support my small sections which resulted in the /directory not been redirected to /directory/ but only for my main section. I found those buried in the WMT errors (I had a lot of 404s from the deleted sections - so I wasn't really looking). Cleaned up.
3) To top this all off in the footer link of the important sections I also had a typo for a url "directory/" instead of "/directory/" - which has generated an extra 404 for every page in that section. Cleaned
I read this thread:
My question is what to do with the 404s.
1) I could just leave all alone and let Google rebuild the map.
2) I could put back the deleted sections and NOINDEX.
3) I'm not sure what to do with the phantom pages 301 them back to the root page or just let the 404 play out.
Yes I feel like a dumbass.
and am wondering how to proceed