JesterMagic - 5:40 pm on Apr 23, 2013 (gmt 0)
Sorry I should have explained myself better. I am referring to the same meta description on multiple pages (like what is reported in Google Web Master Tools).
For example on user generated pages like forum posts I just use the sites primary meta description since the user is not asked to enter one when they create a forum topic. The forum title could be used but that is what I use the page title for. I could also try to create one automatically by using the first x number of characters from the first forum post on the page but the text itself may not make any sense.
Does anyone think it is worth it (ie spending the time to recode things) to try to make all pages have unique meta descriptions? Or is it enough that 75% of the pages have a unique meta description and the other 25% or so share one?