Sgt_Kickaxe - 3:56 am on Dec 13, 2012 (gmt 0)
There are still reports of sites losing a significant amount of traffic from Google beginning Nov 16th/17th, what we know...
- Change began sometime late on the 16th or early 17th of Nov, 2012
- Sites affected showed a sudden large increase in "not provided" keywords in analytics
- Google responded to Twitter questions saying it was one of 500 changes per year and NOT Panda or Penguin related
- John Mu responded to questions in the google webmaster forums by asking for individual examples and did not suggest what the update might have been about
- Some are saying their image traffic is more heavily impacted than web traffic, but not all.
- Bing and Yahoo traffic was not affected.
I just wanted to add a little more information based on what I saw while helping someone figure it out...
- "Top Pages" with filter "web" in GWT shows that these were not affected very much, if at all
- GWT also shows a drop in impressions for keywords on these sites across the board, including top pages, but average ranking for those keywords hasn't changed
- the Panda update 4 days later was too soon to have changes make any impact and there has been no known Penguin refresh since then
Not much else has been said about it but the effects linger for many judging by the Google forums. Do you have any other observations about Nov 16th/17th specific traffic changes?