doughayman - 11:34 pm on Sep 19, 2012 (gmt 0)
OK, looks like I lied. I went into the Verification Methods screen of WMT, and selected the "Domain Name Provider" method of verification, in addition to the "HTML tag" method that I had used previously, when I established the domain.
WMT knows that my domain host provider is GoDaddy so they provide directions on how to add a TXT record to GoDaddy - WMT provides a unique string for this. I added this to my GoDaddy Domain Manager record, and then added it WMT as well, but I think I forgot to hit the "Verify" button on WMT, to effectively complete the loop and consummate the verification. I just checked and my Domain Name record in WMT is not there.
In any event, since WMT wouldn't recognize my site for whatever reason - maybe a prolonged server timeout noted above - I thought that I could trick it into being able to recognize my domain by doing the above.
Perhaps the "glitch" was just fixed, or perhaps my robots.txt successful fetch just happened to occur since my earlier posts. I dunno.
Sorry for the confusion, but all is well again in WMT land for me.