diberry - 5:05 am on Aug 29, 2012 (gmt 0)
Bewenched, none of my sites have had left-hand navigation in several years, so I don't know.
Zivush, great points. My response:
1. I think that is the case for this site, BECAUSE I didn't link build. That's why I think it's so ironic the site got hit by Penguin, which was supposed to punish link builders.
2. User metrics have stayed the same or improved.
3. This is entirely possible, because I was going strictly by user metrics and my own judgment about narrowing the site's focus. Metrics suggest the users are liking the change, but with Google, who knows.
4. Yep, it's quite possible that during the pre-Penguin "thin content" scare I fattened up some pages I shouldn't have. Since Penguin, I've focused on giving each page precisely what I feel (as a reader) its topic deserves... but even so, G may have a different take than I do.
5. Not quite clear on this one? I've 301'd several sites in the past and it's my feeling the SE's do not really treat it like a new site. I find you can expect a small traffic drop, maybe 10% for a few months, but not the 90% I've experienced.