deadsea - 7:42 pm on Mar 30, 2012 (gmt 0)
I've removed pagination from several large sites because:
1. Referral traffic to pages 2+ was very low
2. Users tended not to use them
3. It added tons of crawlable pages which needed significant server resources to support
4. Pagination made the UI look cluttered
5. It is easier for developers not to have to support them.
As a result, page 1 usually picks up enough referrals to offset the 1-2% of referrals that used to come into page 2+. However, I have never seen a large up-tick in overall traffic from pagination removal.