Just my two cents.....
First, it takes years/tens of years to build a decent brand, and much longer to build a big brand... just look at all the big brands out there and how long it took them to get there.
But, everyone needs to start somewhere:
- Build a quality designed site, don't be cheap.
- Post professionally written content that is unique and of high quality... the more the better.
- Target keywords strategically in the beginning, less competitive, in order to rank and get page views. You can adjust those to more competitive keywords as you build overall value in your site.
- Get quality links from trusted sites, in-content preferred. Yes, this is very difficult to do but can be done. Be very creative on how to do this, if you think outside the box you will find several ways to get them.
- When you get links, Google will think you are starting to build a brand if the anchor text is "www.AbcXyz.com" or "AbcXyz" or "AbcXyz.com"... I think you get the gist and notice the capitalized letters.
Those things alone can start your brand building and can take you a long way. No one said it was going to be easy or happen overnight, and until your making tens of millions or hundreds of millions don't plan on being considered a big brand.
You can still be a reputable and trusted brand, and make good money, just doesn't mean you're going to be a big brand.
Best of luck!