netmeg - 5:07 pm on Nov 14, 2011 (gmt 0)
How do one get there is a different story.
I'm not sure I entirely agree with that (about the percentage that doesn't come from search engines) but as to how one gets there:
- direct mail still works (catalogs & flyers)
- email marketing
- trade shows
- industry directories (online and offline)
- direct sales
- links (not for rankings, for traffic)
- Display advertising (online and offline)
- Affiliate programs / referral incentives
That's just off the top of my head.
Frankly the problem is that people simply want to set up an easy website that isn't over the top, followed with easy marketing.
I agree with this. We're saying similar things. You can give off signals till the cows come home, but if there's nothing there to back it up, eventually people catch on.