littlegiant - 11:33 am on Jul 20, 2011 (gmt 0)
I got clobbered again overnight in the Google SERPs to the tune of about 15% of my traffic. I strongly suspect that this is a result of restructuring my site menu to adhere to a Google recommendation to keep your pages to under 100 links per page (I was averaging about 150 / page). I made the changes to my site menu at the end of June along with a complete overhaul to my site design. I also rewrote about 15 category introductory pages because I suspected a duplicate content problem (introductory pages were constructed by taking the first paragraph from each page in that section; essentially borrowing a little bit of my own 1000% original content to create a user-friendly intro page with links to all the pages in that section).
So in light of the changes I made, I suspect that restructuring my menu to split up my site into four sections caused a lot of my pages to lose internal links which then lost them rankings. That's the only thing I can think of. As I said, all my content is 1000% original written by myself through a lot of hard work (7 year old site). My feedback page is pushing 400 comments all praising my writing and teaching skills so I don't think I have an issue with my content except maybe that a small portion of it may be outdated (working hard to correct this as well).
This Panda thing is a nightmare. In retrospect, the site redesign is something I had planned to do anyways and updating some outdated pages is something I had planned as well but restructuring my site menu to reduce my pages to less than 100 links per page is something I never would have done had it not been for Panda (got pandalized on the int'l update on Apr 12 and again near the end of May). So I think I may have seriously shot myself in the foot here.