Frost_Angel - 3:59 pm on Jul 13, 2011 (gmt 0)
I have very incremental gains for my long standing, high ranking site that lost 70% of it's traffic on April 11th.
I did many things as well - but I honestly feel there is some kinda of "timed" penalty. And nothing I do until that designated time is up is going to change anything.
1. Redesigned site entirely. Long over due. Moved it from crappy Frontpage HTML into wordpress. (This may have initially hurt me more...but I'll never really know because I flipped it on May 9th into this new format.)
2. Removed any duplicate content. About 18 pages out of 554 pages.
3. Put a disallow on my forum. Really have no reason for doing this other than a gut instinct it was hurting my rankings.
4. Removed an entire 300 page article directory because I was worried it was nothing but duplicate content from submitters.
5. Removed a business directory that didn't get much traffic.
6. Added new content - a lot - averaging at least 2-3 posts a week now. Wasn't adding much of anything pre-Panda.
7. Changed site title and description.
8. Removed lots of ads.
9 Ongoing - I am going through the site page by page and trying to improve bounce rate and I'm full swing into social media - twittering and FB-ing every day. (Which is lame....but I feel social media is some kind of ranking gauge.)
All this has gained me about 10,000 more visitors over a 3 month period. Much of it was just over due crap I needed to do any way. Maybe that's the point of Panda....to get us to update and improve our sites that we had gotten complacent about?
I am still FAR from seeing the 140,000+ uniques per month I had pre-panda....I'm at about 61,000-62,000 right now.
Also....as a side note....I am not an SEO professional (obviously) - I come here to get help. But I thought if this can help anyone....I'd take the time to post it.
Wondering since this week is 3 months since the April 11th hit....if some sites improved (or went back to normal without doing anything) because a 3 month penalty was lifted? Maybe there are Panda 6 month and 12 month filters too?