arikgub - 6:52 pm on Feb 26, 2011 (gmt 0) [edited by: arikgub at 6:55 pm (utc) on Feb 26, 2011]
I am trying to investigate the impact on two large directories in one specific vertical - one directory has lost almost 70% of traffic and the other one has not been affected.
- Both have boiler-plate template-like pages for each "property" listed
- Both have some unique content on these pages, written in the Demand Media's style: bla-bla of zero value (in my subjective view)
- Both are very aggressive in their ads placement
- Before the update both ranked near the top, usually right below the official "property" site
All in all, very similar stuff.
Now the differences between the unaffected site (A) and the affected site (B) are:
- The site B in addition to the "original" content includes a snippet of ~100 words of description from the official "property" site
- The site B is probably of a bit smaller scale. It is getting about 0.5M uniques/month, while the site A is probably getting about 2x - 4x of that (estimation, I don't have access to the site A's data)
[edited by: arikgub at 6:55 pm (utc) on Feb 26, 2011]