errorsamac - 3:56 pm on Aug 5, 2010 (gmt 0)
The site I was working had "Example's Widget" as the main keyword. However, the page also had "Examples Widget" as a technically mis-spelled keyword. The "Examples Widget" keyword is what people typically type in when they are searching for this term which is why it was included in the page. Also, the domain name is "blueswidget.com" so my initially thinking was that it was safer to put the keyword a little more often than usual. Anyway, here is roughly what I did to fix it:
1) Changed "Examples Widget" to "Example's Widget" everywhere. This affected the title and page content. This change was made on the title/content of the main page and the title only for all sub-pages.
2) The main page of the site had 3 versions of "Example's Widget" in the meta keywords tag (Example's Widget, Blue Example's Widget, etc). I trimmed it down to just one "Example's Widget" keyword.
3) Across every other page on the site, I trimmed meta keywords down to just a single keyword.
4) In the actual page content (including image alt tags), the main page of the site had the keyword and typo'd version sprinkled in around 7-9 times (roughly, I am going off of memory on this). The site now has the keyword appear 4 times.
5) I did not "decrease" any h1, h2, bold, etc. tags on the site. What I mean by that is I did not change an h1 tag to an h2, or an h2 tag to a bold tag, etc.
6) Site navigation/layout did not change at all. It was strictly decreasing the number of times the keyword appeared on the page.