gethan - 10:08 am on Jun 2, 2010 (gmt 0)
Please correct my understanding if wrong;
Three major factors influence the organic traffic we get from G. (ignoring keyword considerations)
- Index (caffine) - the pages included in G's index.
- Algorithm (mayday) - the order in which the pages are placed in the SERPs.
- Layout (jazz) - amount of extra stuff that pads the organic result
During April 28th - ongoing we have seen;
- Index change - re-indexing of all pages to new infrastructure that has been rolled out despite many pages that previously were indexed dropping out. Hints at this site: and WMT count plummeting during this period.
- Algorithm - on May 1st - Mayday was rolled out - major tweaks as confirmed by MC in his video - leading to positions changing.
- Layout - jazz interface - with all it's options, organic results further from the hot parts of the heat map, sometimes below the fold, leading to a lower % click through.
Is this a fair summary?