dusky - 1:43 pm on May 7, 2010 (gmt 0)
Well, from my own analyses, G* is still re-indexing and moving data, many good quality sites are usually re-indexed and revaluated at major updates, which seems like filters are tuned off, BUT actually they are not turned off, it's the PR /Trustrank for major sites while being re-indexed IS being revaluated. They are left rankless and flat for a while, that's why blackhat and useless sites are tuning up on many competitive keywords outranking them, As I said on the previous pages, it has to be temporary.
Many of us here seem to forget when BigDaddy, Florida and other significant updates HAPPENED, most filters seemed to be turned off temporarily for weeks for many sites, I for one remember that, however, now I suspect the above, turning filters off is a dangerous thing to do, so can't see that being the case AND WAS NEVER THE CASE BEFORE EITHER.
It is annoying to see large serious authority sites pushed to page 4, 5 etc for days and weeks on their long established and legitimately ranked for keywords.
I scanned posts since March and from the update, so far I conclude that most sites (not all) which are experiencing this (hopefully TEMP) ranking drop have also seen (or are):
- Substantial increase in their Gbot activity
- Long tail ranking drop
- Experiencing continuous decrease in site: indexed pages
- Mosty medium to large or old / well established sites
- Gbot includes asking for very old non existent, deleted pages / URL flavors
- Penalty like effects, when searching for expected earned keyword returns, you get a site about your site or about something on your site on another site...but not your page or site
- PR is the same
- Search for company name or homepage title mostly returns OK and ranks as usual
- Sitelinks where applicable are still there for main keyword / company name
- No problems on WMT
- No reports of substantial change on sites to warrant the drop and are white hat
- Traffic dropped between 20-90% in the last three months, for some recovered two or three times and dipped again, fror others, dropped even further since the update, but GBot is still at it for most like never before
Those sites IMO are being re-indexed all over from scratch, having their data moved slowly to the new infrastructure and their PR / Trustrank is be being revaluated after all pages are indexed. Other inferior sites and pages are overtaking them BECAUSE G* has not yet finished re-gathering all data on them, old and new, and has not yet applied their rank factors to push them up TO WHAT RANK they deserve, (same rank, better or worse than before).
Lastly, the temporary snowball effects, while sites are re-evaluated, inbound and outbound links are also affected from those sites and to them as if backlinks no longer apply anymore until the complete re-indexing procedure is done and all data is moved, cleaned and ranked again .
On major updates you get MASSIVE SERP changes for weeks, this thread is about SERP changes and we have an update, the MayDay updates, so, this upheaval is kind of expected.