deepeshbanerji - 3:12 am on Mar 22, 2010 (gmt 0) [edited by: tedster at 3:23 am (utc) on Mar 22, 2010]
Hey tedster -
We made the change on Feb 20th (the mistake with the canonical tags). How it was implemented was such that on all the long tail pages (there are 1000's in Google's Index)
The Canonical was accidentally set to "/forums/keyword" ... yes.. for all 2000+ pages :|
On Feb 25th we started seeing traffic dip and it wasn't until Feb 27th we actually removed the accidental canonical -- it took us awhile to figure out what happened - a developer had copied and pasted a different template completely accidentally.
We also proactively submitted an updated sitemap.
Unfortunately we haven't regained the traffic (amounting to about 40,000 Google visits per month).
[edit reason] no urls - please see Charter [/edit]
[edited by: tedster at 3:23 am (utc) on Mar 22, 2010]