I too have mourned the loss of dependable data from the site: operator -- but it was never the be-all end-all for me. It was more of a quick snapshot that was easy to check.
The most important data comes from the traffic in our server logs and our conversions from that traffic. If our logs show Google sending traffic to a particular url from a certain search phrase, then that is the truth of the situation. This is true no matter what the site: operator says, and no matter what rankings are visible to us in our specific location. If Google labels a url Supplemental somewhere or other but we still get traffic and sales - then that's healthy and who cares about the label? If they don't show a url as Supplemental but it gets no Google traffic, then that's not good.
And if Google chooses to eliminate 90% of the urls in a domain from their index, but they send healthy amounts of well-targeted traffic to the other 10%, that can be a very healthy picture.
More than ever, it is essential to stay focused on traffic, conversions and profitability, and to have our own analytics that can provide us with actionable data. And yes, we can still all hope for more informative metrics from Google in the near future.