Geocities page =[meta refresh]> NoLongerActive.widget.com => www.widget.com
The above resulted in the Geocities page showing www.widget.com's title, description, cache, backlinks and PR. The real www.widget.com page was removed from Google and the most of my site was dropped in the same way Marcello described in post #1. I ended up 404ing NoLongerActive.widget.com which at least got www.widget.com back in Google but not the pages that were dropped.
E-mails to Google about the bug and the resulting penalty got me:
- 2 canned responses saying "we don't comment on site penalties"
- 1 canned response saying "we'll pass this on to our engineers"
- No reply when I asked for an update a month later (July)