twohawks - 4:20 am on Jun 2, 2011 (gmt 0)
Hmm, adjusted my search (believe or not I searched for sometime and did not find this) and turned up a post from sp2010..
...which essentially indicates how "the registrar is under no obligation" to accomodate the trademark holder, i.e., there would be no sensible or viable recourse in taking it up with the registrar, so that would seem to leave it with the tradmark holder to simply try and get the name.
So then I imagine if we lose the backorder/auction process that the next logical step would be to approach the new registrant with an explanation and an offer to buy it from them.
Further, I would think that if they are a US-based entity that they would have enough impetus to not presume to jack the price up "unreasonably" because its not lawful.
I imagine there would be nothing stopping an unscrupulous party from "ganging" into an auction so as to cause the initial sale to be a fairly large sum - to one of their own, so that when we come a-knocking they can demand a larger sum, but then what kind of greater profit could they hope to net from that anyway?
Is this just meaningless musing, or are these reasonable notions to consider?