Ok, I'm ready to tell the domain name in question.
These are my questions:
1. Is it possible to still be able to buy domains straight from the registrar and they may really be worth much more than what you paid?
2. In your opinion and experience, is it better to sit on a valuable domain name, and hope the value rises?
3. Is one better off keeping a valuable domain name, developing it, getting quality links, and later offer it for sale at a higher price because it should be worth much more with an established website being sold with the domain name?
4. What price would one put on a domain name with an established website that is earning you X amount of dollars per year? Would you price it at 5 times, 10 times, 20 times your yearly earnings from the site?
5. What is the best method of selling it IF one wanted to sell it? List it with a domain name selling company? Put a link on it with the for sale information? List it with a domain name auction company?
6. Doing a search on G for the two keywords in the domain name, it comes up with 2,760,000 results. Is this any part of the supposed value?
Factors advised in appraisal (according to appraiser):
I just purchased this domain name three days ago. I have put up a website just to get it "out there". Please excuse the fact that it is unfinished, as I've not had time to add nearly the content that will be going on it. It's just some ideas I've had in my mind and I got something put up quickly. Anyway, this discussion is not about the merits of design, content, etc. it's about the domain name itself being appraised for a lot of money.
If it is ok, I will copy and paste the domain appraisal itself to this thread, but I will wait for permission to do so.
Thank you in advance for any knowledge, advice, experiences, etc. that you may have to offer. It's appreciated. I've been given good advice here at WebmasterWorld and I hope that by giving out this personal information of mine that I may have in some way helped others.
The two niches that can be used for this site are Gothic or Goth and Roses. Those who are into gardening and roses know there are some beautiful gothic roses. Those who are into the goth or gothic scene know that roses are very popular in gothic tattoos, gothic apparel, gothic art, etc.
My opinion is this. IF and I do mean IF this name IS extremely valuable, IMHO it must be because the keywords are popular in this particular niche, there are quite a few searches.
Checking the Overture Keyword Suggestion tool it shows that the keyword "goth" was searched for 102,278 times in July 2006. This was for various terms including the keyword "goth". Obviously there are many keyword phrases and other keywords that can be used with a site in this particular niche.
Ok, now lets hear your opinions and personal experiences. What is your estimation of it's worth? I realize it depends on whether or not anyone would even want a particular domain name and how much they would be willing to pay. Without that, it really does not matter what anything is worth, if noone is willing to pay it's "worth".
Sorry for the long post, however, I had a lot to say! ;-)