dailypress - 12:41 pm on Oct 12, 2013 (gmt 0)
I am thinking of selling products such as T-shirts, Mugs, iPhone Cases etc through CafePress and other popular websites.
I would like to sell a variety of products (with a special theme). However, I am now sure which route to take:
1) First I am thinking of creating a WordPress website full of pictures of the products and then linking each of them to CafePress, Zazzle and/or etc. The wordpress website would basically be an introduction to the products and would link to the inner pages of CafePress etc where my customers could actually purchase and order via their website and not mine. I am also thinking of having Star Ratings under each image and a Comment section for users to post.
2) I am thinking of installing Magento, Shopify or other software but am not sure if I could link the products to CafePress and eliminate the shopping cart for now. Maybe later on, in the future if the site becomes popular I could activate the shopping cart as well as ship directly to earn a higher profit margin.
1) What do you think of the first idea of having my main website act as a 3rd party that would basically organize, categorize, rate and display the products and link them to popular eCommerce websites?
This way I could put all my focus on the designing part and have the manufacturing and shipping done by the experts (i.e. zazzle and cafepress)... meanwhile make a small profit for each product.
What am I missing? If this was a great idea wouldn't others also do the same? Do you guys know of any popular site that has done the same?
Is the profit margin too little or is there another reason why others aren't doing it this way and actually create shopping carts and ship directly?
2) Since I am not sure which route to take, I would like to install the best software in case I would like to change things around (such as having the option of taking orders directly). Which free software do you recommend? Joomla, Wordpress, Drupal, Magento .. others? I want to prevent redesigning the website all over and want to keep the URLs and structure the same from day 1.
Is there a highly customizable software that would allow me to link a few products to other 3rd party sites (i.e. cafepress) and also at the same time take some orders directly for certain popular products such as t-shirts? Is there an enable/disable button for shopping carts?
3) Is there any better route? I don't have a store or a warehouse but I could order certain things (like t-shirts) in bulk and store them in my apartment.
I would greatly appreciate your help and guidance.
Thanks in advance,