Lapizuli - 10:32 pm on Aug 12, 2011 (gmt 0)
Rocknbill really covered it, but to reiterate the points that apply to me as a shopper...here is what causes that kind of behavior in me:
1) Starting checkout is the only way to view shipping cost. This is so, so common, and so, so bothersome.
2) I go to check out, all gung-ho to place an order, only to find the connection's not really secure on my browser. Sometimes I contact the retailer, but often enough I've been told that they don't know what could be wrong, it's my problem, whatever...so I don't bother anymore. When this happens, I try another browser, and if it still is happening, that's it, I'm gone. (You'd probably be able to identify this by two proximal orders with similar shopping carts placed from different browsers, that were abandoned.)
3) The prices are so good, I want to do lots more shopping at the store before I place my order. So I leave my cart there and hope the retailer has a long cookie for when I come back next time. If not, oh, well.
4) Various other techy/buggy issues. The checkout display sucks. Not everything is visible on the page. I get a "some insecure content" warning. That sort of thing.
5) If I get forwarded to a third-party checkout service, there is not enough visual or textual continuity from the store to the checkout service, and I'm not sure the site is legit.