Brett_Tabke - 2:36 am on Dec 28, 2009 (gmt 0) Landmines:
I think alot of the issues will depend on volumn of sales and the value of each sale. Issues we face processing transactions for conferences in the hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars is vastly different from someone selling small dollar retail items online.
- Coupons. We have run into lots of issues with them. Think it through to the largest degree that you can. Any problem that can go wrong with coupons - will go wrong.
- Test your code to death. Make it bullet proof. Test and retest and retest.
- Reduce complexity where ever possible. Every step in checkout costs you a percentage of vistors. The lower the cost per item, the fewer the steps you have to have to checkout.
- Assume your system will be tested by hackers/fraudsters.
- It helps to repeat the following: I am not Amazon.