metamax - 5:44 pm on Feb 26, 2013 (gmt 0)
Hopefully someone can help me understand what's happening here.
I have a site where all URLs were recently 301 redirected to a non-capitalized version of the URL.
A lot of the internal URLs on the site have encoded characters like %2F - and we realized this was causing all URLs to redirect to the %2f version.
We found Google Webmaster tools complaining about an 'increase in not followed pages'
When I do a 'fetch as googlebot' on the capitalized %2F, the result is a 301 to %2f, all well and good, but then if I copy and paste the lowercase %2f URL and do another fetch as Googlebot again, the grid that shows my requests lists it as %2F (capitalized), and shows another 301 to %2f lowercase.
There must be something about capitalization and character encoding I don't understand...