ChanandlerBong - 11:57 pm on Sep 22, 2012 (gmt 0)
lucy, realised now you mentioned BOM. I had used "show invisible characters" and nothing showed in my text editor, on my mac now so will try what you suggested (altering encoding to see it) tomorrow back on my normal windows laptop where my site/text editor are. I have 3k files with this little so-and-so in it so need to search and replace with nothing to get rid of it.
I think I know how it got in there. I used an application (some cheesy name like "UTF-8 Convert" to do the initial conversion of all the pages to UTF-8 so I think that's the bad guy in this situation). I'll find that app's forum/site and see if others have reported this issue and see if I can re-convert without the BOM.
still unsure if this is 100% the culprit but seems a heavily smoking gun. :)