srchmeister - 12:11 pm on Jun 16, 2011 (gmt 0)
I arrived on this forum after hitting an identical issue to an old thread ([webmasterworld.com ]).
Unfortunately, that thread is too old to append a message to but I wanted to share my findings with the community to help others in the same situation.
The issue was that my application had a couple of pages which appeared fine to me but initially displayed as blank pages to my clients until refresh was pressed.
My clients were using IE6 but my copy of IE6 displayed ok.
After playing around a little I discovered that although I could see the offending pages that my client could not I couldn't click the 'View Source' command on those pages until I too refreshed the page.
I also found out that similar to the old thread if I removed the meta tag completely the problem disappeared. The meta tag looked like this:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
I couldn't understand why other pages which also used this meta tag had no problems so I studied the problem some more.
The solution turned out to be the way the source files had been edited. IE6 seems to have a problem in that if you advertise the page is UTF-8 then the file your server serves must be in the format which includes the 'BOM' characters.
To fix my problem all I had to do was open the offending source files in a UTF-8 aware editor (I used Notepad++) and then save it again as UTF-8 with BOM.