Chris13 - 8:56 pm on Jun 13, 2013 (gmt 0)
Things proved out to be eratic. This is from a single city, rather than site wide.
Total pageviews that contained ads: 53805; pages with adsense ads: 28,821 (53.6%); pages with media.net ads: 24,984 (46.4%)
Total Income (in % of total): Adsense: 65.6% of total income from 53.6% of the pageviews; Media.net: 34.4% of total income from 46.4% of the pageviews. So on a per pageview comparison adsense produced better. But, I'm of the belief media.net's best days are ahead for it. Can't say that for adsense.
There were days where media.net had a higher RPM. There was a week at the start were they were basicall even, then adsense started to rise. The last 3 days of the test adsense took a complete and total dump and gave me the worst numbers that I had seen for the entire 30 days.
So, now I'm testing mixing adsense ads and media.net ads on the same page. I've opened it up to the entire site. I'm going against the grain on this one in that I'm turning off the most clicked on adsense adunits and replacing those with media.net ads and the adsense adunits are entirely new adunits with new positions on the page.
What I've found thus far is that my highest clicked on adsense adunits were producing the worst CPC. My site was one of the 5000 sites (give or take 3,000,000 sites) that lost the Nessie buttons and subsequently had crap CPC/RPM. I've done many things to try and prevent inadvertant clicks, but no real recovery in income.
So I'm now checking to see if the adunits themselves could somehow be specifically the problem. So I'm using different sized units with different names in different positions for adsense. I've put media.net adunits at the top of the page.
This new test is proving to be fruitful. First off the CPC and RPM from adsense has improved and media.net, now that I'm giving them more pages is producing more as well.