MsHuggys - 1:37 pm on Jun 11, 2011 (gmt 0)
Now, let me be the first to respond to my own posting. The posting was not intended to produce a lot of whiners. Instead, it was the step stool for me to show how thinking things through instead of going off the deep end can make bad news, non-news.
When I first got this news, I will admit, it sent a shiver down my spine while thinking about what other programs might fall and how this would affect me long term. I make about 70% of my income from affiliate publisher programs, the other 30% from in-house advertising, which results in a six figure income. Once the shiver was gone, it became apparent there was a solution, and only weeks before I had found it.
As luck would have it, only a couple weeks ago I decided that it was time to incorporate one of my businesses and change another to a LLC. After some research, it became apparent to me that I could do this online, quickly, cheaply and easily in the State of Nevada.
I found an online company to provide me with a mail box address in Las Vegas. Set it up and paid for it online.
Since I use internet phone from a major internet provider, a company I have used for five years, for another $5.00 a month I was able to add a Las Vegas, Nevada phone number, which rings to my main phone.
Then, I found a company to set up both my LLC and corporation in Nevada. Within 24 hours it was all done, all the paperwork was in my hands and I had an EIN for the corporation. The documents were both emailed to me as attachments and sent by FEDEX.
The company has a wonderful online interface that allows me to easily manage both the LLC and the corporation and they monitor both companies for me to ensure they stay compliant with Nevada laws, filing whatever papers need to be filed, for me. Everything is done electronically.
The next day, I went to the bank and set up the bank account. I simply took my incorporation papers, list of officers and EIN to the bank and it was easy as setting up any other bank account.
With the work done, I went to each affiliate acccount I had online and began reapplying under the corporation name, address, phone and EIN. I hadn't gone to Amazon yet. So, right after I got the letter, I went over and set that up too. The new Amazon promotions using the corporate account are now on one of my websites.
I chose Nevada because it's the one state that will NEVER pass legislation to protect brick and mortar retailers. They make their revenue through tourism based businesses and being the headquarters for corporations, not on shopping.
So, for me, while this news could have been the beginning of some stressful weeks and months, it was a non-event.
If you live in one of the states that have made it impossible to earn a living online, it's time to think about taking some action to 'move' your business operations to a pro-online business model state. You may not want to go to the length that I did. But, as you can see, it's quick and easy to do, with numerous options available to you.