I don't find one logic reason for google to continue using ODP data in google directory.
1. Why doesn't google start its own directory? Or even buy DMOZ and start charging for listings (well won't that would be better than paying more that a billion on youtube!).
2. You submit to DMOZ and wait for a year or so to see IF you can get your site listed.
3. Just because submitting to DMOZ is free doesn't mean that they can do whatever they want. If their editors can't handle the amount of submissions, go charge for them even for a small fee for god sake! Even worse, althought their editors can't handle the ammount of submissions, they don't accept new editors.
4. DMOZ data is unreliable. Large percentage of the links, titles and descriptions are broken.
5. DMOZ policy is very questionable with respect to google. They allow you to use their data on your site, but google would ban or at least penalize your site if did so.
[edited by: Webwork at 12:02 am (utc) on Dec. 10, 2006]
[edit reason] Spliced thread editing [/edit]