mrblond - 3:08 pm on Dec 4, 2012 (gmt 0)
I have a working, functioning WP blog at www.domain.com. Last night I tried to install a new WP blog at sub.domain.com, and the exercise failed miserably.
The sub installation took over the existing, and it was a bear getting things back to the way they were.
The purpose of this post is to figure out where I went wrong - any assistance is definitely appreciated.
Here's what I did:
1) Add subdomain in plesk with a new FTP user specific for that sub
2) Create a database named sub_wp - unrelated to existing db
3) Create a db user for that database
4) Adjust wp-config as per the instructions
5) go through the WP 5 minute install
When I got to the last instruction in the install where you go to sub.domain.com/wp-admin/install.php, that's when things got a little haywire. I got an error that there was already a WP installation - various tips online mentioned changing the database table prefix in the wp-config file - I did that, and the new blog took over the old one.
Any tips on how to set this up correctly?