timsoulo - 8:47 am on Dec 20, 2011 (gmt 0)
Hey vanderbolt, how do YOU follow people on Twitter? :)
I bet you follow a person if:
1) he is your friend/colleague;
2) he is a celebrity or a well known person in his field;
3) you read a post from this person somewhere and it was good, and you think that this guy might tweet something good as well.
So the above 3 scenarios are most common. Now lets look at them from your perspective:
1) all your friends/colleagues might be following you already;
2) it's quite hard to become a celebrity, especially a "niche celebrity", so that won't work;
3) YEP! this is it! go and submit some cool articles to sites in your niche and mention you're on Twitter - this way you'll get HIGHLY engaged followers!
Or maybe start your personal blog and convert blog readers to Twitter followers :)