motorhaven - 10:46 am on Jan 31, 2013 (gmt 0)
Agree with Bill.
I am a big advocate of open source and open source/free - use a lot of it in my business.
However, I am a bigger advocate of the bottom line. I have tried OO several times over the years hoping issues with complex document presentation were finally resolved only to be disappointed.
Sure 95% would work just fine, but the remaining 5% could go to a client without my ever knowing they received a document which looked or operated sub-par until they tell me. That is an embarrassment I wish to avoid. Furthermore, in 17 years of business I've yet to run across a single hire with OO experience while all of them had Office experience. Even if the transition "only" costs a few hours of lost productivity for each employee to learn the ropes, I come out ahead paying for an Office license and using it for several years before upgrading.