tangor, "aan avoidance to invest in the main site results in game playing to artificially generate traffic"
Our Content budget is roughly $3k per month, we invest quite heavily in good content to our websites. That being said, I agree that the fast and easy approach to SEO yields short term results and usually long term disaster.
However, if I create 10 meaningful sub-niche blogs, and put unique content on them, as well as our main websites, how is this bad?
Why shouldn't I reap the rewards for putting up a good website? Obviously the website will be limited to one unique topic however, we fully intend to answer the questions that people ask regarding those topics in our content. Thus we create a benefit for the reader.
The best question is not "should I" but "is it worth it".
I figure it will take me the better part of a week setting up ten blogs that look and operate well. From then on out, I have a full time assistant who can update each blog once a week.
Let's say we get all of our feeder blog articles on Mondays, it will take her probably two - three hours a week to post and link the articles. The the other 35 hours a week she can spend chasing the good links.
In addition to that, we will have our feature writers writing articles and content sections for our main sites.
I just don't see the down-side as long as we make niche specific blogs that answer real questions about the subject matter.
Here's where the rubber meets the road ... the costs:
- 10 hosting accounts per month - $100 per month
- Initial content for each site - 100 x 10 = $1,000
- Weekly content for each site - $400 per month first 6 months $200 there after
- Link Building company, starter blog links and so on = $600 one time fee
- Assistant pay per month for 12 hours labor - $144
Total Upfront cost for the first 6 months - $3832 / 6 = $638 per month
Monthly operating cost thereafter - $300 plus labor
- 10 well placed niche websites with relevant content
- 10 different ip addresses (hosts) for future projects
- 2 targeted backlinks a week for ever
- adsense and/or additional income via click throughs'
- 10 current websites to use for linking bait (not link bait) basically we give other authority blogs with free contextual links to build relationships.
I don't know .... I see the cup half empty and half full ...