So to avoid sites employing either of these 2 methods would the following be sufficient?:
1. Goto the page where the site links to you.
2. Right mouse click on an area near a link.
3. If the options include "open frame in new window" then forget the site (they are probably using one of the above mentioned deceptions).
4. If open frame in new window doesn’t appear then check the source code for mouseover and check the source code from internally referenced links.
5. If the html looks normal then the site is fine to exchange links with.
I'm trying to put together some quick and easy steps to follow to check out sites.