dstiles - 9:44 pm on Jul 19, 2012 (gmt 0)
Lucy: two things...
1) Update: for FF on Windows there is (was?) an option under Advanced/Update to determine how updates are handled - mine is set to "Check but don't do it unless I say". This is on FF12 - Windows 2000 won't update FF beyond that. On Linux the option to update is not in the browser (certainly not in FF14). Instead, the update is controlled by the Update Manager. If your Update Manager is set to automatic it will update everything it's told to. I have mine, again, set to "Warn me".
2) This may be relevant to your comment re: language.
I have just spent the past four hours trying to fix a display problem on one of my sites. I only noticed it today (installed FF14 yesterday on linux).
The problem is in two parts: the English pound symbol is no longer displayed correctly. No problem with that as it's supposed to use the entity & pound - I just made a couple of easily fixed mistakes on this site.
The second part: the & pound displays correctly when displayed from a debug string directly in the composing function but as soon as it gets returned to the calling function (val=function) it converts the & pound to gods know what - it displays as the blackened question mark used in place of unknown characters (I need to write this out to a text file to figure it out). Obviously, by the time the code gets to be properly displayed it's screwed.
BUT: On the windows FF12 there is (still) no problem. In Opera on linux there is no problem. Another linux machine with FF14 has it wrong. Which suggests to me the problem lies in the browser's rendering engine.
The odd thing is: since all data is fed from an IIS compiler there should be no browser interaction. My suggestion therefore is that the first time rendering uses one language, the second uses another (sending the same string twice from within the composing function results in both being properly displayed so this may not be correct).
The header of the page specifies 8859-1 English - so does the browser. No idea what linux (Ubuntu) default is but I suspect utf-8 or utf-16. I need to play with the browser font setup, I think.
Just checked the brower Page Info and it gives the page heading as above but Encoding is utf8. Given my FF setup specifies 8859-1 I suspect that is the problem. Windows FF12 gives 8859-1.