explorador - 4:09 pm on Apr 5, 2013 (gmt 0)
webtechi2010, I understand your situation, been there and solved it but it's no easy task. I migrated 5 big websites, thousands of pages... into 5 diff drupal sites. I posted a thread around here regarding the images (intros) that became the biggest problem. But yes, it can be done, I built a few scripts on perl to solve it, sorry... won't work in your case because were designed for my own custom built CMS/content...
But basically what I did was:
A. Experimented with Feeds.
You can use the RSS format to export/import. I found that it was not too difficult in my case to make my own CMS export the data into feeds. I found some problems while doing so:
- Long feeds ended up in errors while importing
- Tried shorter feeds, from 100 to 200 pages each
- But... had some trouble with special characters
- Then dates... you know, perl and RSS date format...
- Then I stopped because I couldn't get around importing the intro images (one to appear on the front page or index lists
B. Then I tried CSV
Made my cms export CSV data... then used the same Drupal modules for importing/exporting but again character problems, dates and intro images. Besides I found, in my experience that those modules are kinda buggy. At times will perform well, other times wont. I had too much content to work on so I abandoned the idea.
C. Success... Custom export
1. I created a few pages (articles) with the data structure I use
2. Exported Drupal data to CSV but not using modules, I used phpMyAdmin
3. Analyzed the tables and data
4. Modded my own CMS to export equivalent data in CSV
5. Imported the data into the MYSQL database using phpMyAdmin
6. Didn't touch anything while importing (very important)
7. Then deleted the cache on the database tables
8. Then via Drupal page to do so
Success! even my urls were kept
I only needed to work with the following tables:
Taxonomy term data
Taxonomy term hierarchy
URL alias tags
Field revision (field image)
The table names might not be exact on that list, I used "preview" as the name of the intro images so the table name changed to preview not image.
Some tables are duplicates "node-node revision". In some cases I got away without the revisions, in other it was needed... so I used node and node revisions both times.
Yes it can be done, just be patient. There is more to say about importing the images (intro or index lists) but I doubt you need it.
Good luck, it's easier than you think.
I only used Perl to to the job.
Moved all the files to my computer to work locally (that's faster)
**My personal problem was with the images for index lists (intros). I solved this too but partially because the images need to be referenced (for access and mod data), so it trowed an error when I tried to edit any page from Drupal, it was easier to delete the image and then edit/replace. But no problem because my pages were final, no edition needed.