richlowe - 12:07 pm on Oct 23, 2004 (gmt 0) 1) They can definitely be slow. Hope that helps.
I have several 120gb USB hard drives attached to my system. I love them. Notes:
2) Make sure your systems supports USB 2.0
3) Some recent microsoft patches broke harddrive USB ports, and there are patches to fix that. So if you run into issues, check out the microsoft support site.
4) USB drives are external, so I've found it's more likely they get jostled or pushed around. So be sure they are placed securely.
5) The smaller drives are simply laptop drives mounted in a case. The larger drives are usually standard drives mounted in a case - these always require external power. The smaller ones usually work off USB power. I saw one that requires TWO USB ports - one for communication and one for power.
1) They can definitely be slow.
Hope that helps.