rocknbil - 4:46 pm on Apr 13, 2011 (gmt 0)
Craigslist is a good example in the extreme, agreed, but it strips the point to the core: don't allow your opposition to a design cloud your development vision. It's easy to do.
There are thousands of other examples out there. Look at this site. Compare it with the thousands of other VB, PHPBB, ad drenched graphic intensive bulletin board clones out there. They are all much prettier (sorry Brett. :-) ) But they're not all that valuable . . . are they? Do you prefer to work with them because they are pretty? I don't . . . and find them mostly annoying.
When you have this conflict of interest, it's not a compromise, you're not backing down on principle. Focus on what's important for you, for this client . . . . the design really isn't important in the big picture.
Of course, you could take a big gamble and show the link caribguy posted (love that page, it's so true.) Problem with that is the client has a 90% probability of taking it personally, which leaves a 10% chance of knocking some sense into them (this article lacks citation and references) :-)
An aside - something I've learned over the years with clients, because people are just people . . .
. . . so if they want Monotype Corsiva in a rainbow pattern, I explain why that may not be the best choice, and they insist, they will get it. . . .
The view from the client is that you're being "difficult." I've done this many times - in retrospect, probably too many times. "Every idea I have is like an argument with you. I'm paying you, why can't you just do what I want?" Recognizing this about people helps you to "pick your battles" - the instance you mentioned wouldn't be worth the effort for me. :-)