httpwebwitch - 2:41 pm on Jul 14, 2010 (gmt 0)
I've discovered what my "problem" is. Turns out I was displaying things right all along, but my data was bad because the method I'd provided users to enter it was not posting a <form> with the right encoding.
Things *looked* fine in the database because I could SELECT stuff and it looked like Chinese, but the data was in fact not in UTF8, despite being stored in a database/table/column that were all configured as UTF8.
Now that I've dicovered the problem, I realize it was an easy trap to get stuck in. I'll certainly write up a how-to and post it here.