I know it has been a while, but I thought I would check back in.
I have not automated my scripts yet, but they did come in handy yesterday when my server was getting hit by a DDOS attack.
I actually didn't realize what was going on until I ran one of my new IP reports and looked at the top 50 IP addresses hitting my site. There was a nice and even distribution of international (and a few US) based IP machines/servers all hitting my site.
According to my reports, they had "tested" the attack a few days prior.
Now that I can see some patterns emerging, I'm hopeful that I can put together some of these queries/reports into a early detection system not only for rogue bots/scrapers, but also DDOS attacks.
I ended up blocking all international traffic for the day and the attack seemed to subside (for now).
Anyway, if I get the system automated, I'll report back!