homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.161.214.221
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Become a Pro Member

Visit PubCon.com
Home / Forums Index / Code, Content, and Presentation / PHP Server Side Scripting
Forum Library, Charter, Moderators: coopster & jatar k

PHP Server Side Scripting Forum

    
Mysterious Joomla (?) Error
Server determines that it no longer likes searches...
WesleyC




msg:4331739
 7:51 pm on Jun 27, 2011 (gmt 0)

I have no idea if this goes in the PHP subforum, since I have no clue what the problem even is, but here we go...

I run a standard Joomla website installation on an on-site server, using PHP 5.2 and Apache 2.2. It's a fairly large website (several thousand content-rich pages), and as many of you may know, Joomla's default search engine isn't necessarily the best for finding pages in this sort of site. Given that, I tweaked the search module to add another option, order by "relevance"--Joomla's default is order by date modified, which in our field really has no relation to what a user was searching for. The tweak worked perfectly, and has existed for well over a year with no problems, including going through a site redesign and several major structural changes without issues.

However, today when I got into work, I used it to look up a page--and realized it wasn't working; not just for the particular search I was trying, but for any searches whatsoever. Using the search feature brings up a blank white page, and using Firebug to look at the HTTP headers indicates that the server is throwing a 500 error.

All well and good, this is why I keep PHP error logs. So, I look up the logs... Nothing. No errors listed. Odd... perhaps it's a Joomla error? No; the Joomla error page hasn't tracked any errors. Apache error, perhaps? Nothing there, either--the Apache error logs are clean as a whistle. The rest of the Joomla website is working in its entirety; to my knowledge (as the only programmer that maintains this site) nothing changed over the weekend.

So, my question to the WebmasterWorld audience: what on earth might be going on here? Without any error logs noticing anything, or any error message displayed to the screen, or... well, any information at all, I'm at a bit of a loss to figure out what on earth might be happening. Anyone have any recommendations to check for what might be happening and why?

 

g1smd




msg:4331742
 7:57 pm on Jun 27, 2011 (gmt 0)

It seems to be a common problem:

[google.com...]

WesleyC




msg:4331788
 10:04 pm on Jun 27, 2011 (gmt 0)

I believe I've resolved the problem, actually. I went back through the changelogs of what we modified on the site, and realized that we uninstalled the Web Links component in Joomla. This component has a tie-in to the Search feature that is not removed when you uninstall Web Links--thus, we were getting a fatal PHP error when the search component would try to reference the Web Links helper. Now, off to figure out why PHP didn't log this...

Thanks for your help!

g1smd




msg:4331789
 10:05 pm on Jun 27, 2011 (gmt 0)

Thanks for posting the follow-up.

That wasn't a problem that could have been easily guessed.

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  
 

Home / Forums Index / Code, Content, and Presentation / PHP Server Side Scripting
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved