homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.242.231.109
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Become a Pro Member
Visit PubCon.com
Home / Forums Index / Code, Content, and Presentation / Perl Server Side CGI Scripting
Forum Library, Charter, Moderators: coopster & jatar k & phranque

Perl Server Side CGI Scripting Forum

This 31 message thread spans 2 pages: < < 31 ( 1 [2]     
Unstable web layout when mixing utf-8 inuput/outputs.
css perl changing layout utf-8 unicode Linux
Paymaan




msg:3802941
 10:34 pm on Dec 8, 2008 (gmt 0)

Hi Everybody.

I am building a new website, everything is written in utf-8. I have several js and css files, along template html files. The output is in xml and xhtml, and I have tried to write everything strictly.

Generally, my perl program reads from a csv text database, mixes some of it with html templates, which also contain css and javascript refereces to files I wrote or libraries like reflection and prototype etc.

I have two servers to run and test these. First is local on my own computer running Linux Mint, Apache2, perl 5.8.8 etc. Second is a Debian which final results will be hosted on.

1. when I browse an html file (containing the same css and js etc, whithout passing the template through the perl file (there is one static index.html containg the same as what perl generates as index.html), there is no problem, everything is stable and a thousand refreshesh on any of two servers shows no difference or unstability.

2. Then when I browse the same code generated by my perl program, every now and then, when I refresh the page, it shows a little difference (change in font size, or line height etc.).

I guess this is maybe because I mix many files and a few of them might not be utf-8 (although I have tried to read all and save as utf-8 on Linux), and that the generated output misses some of the css info, but why only sometimes?! why this doesn't happen every time?

Can anybody please help?!

Paymaan.

 

Paymaan




msg:3821776
 9:34 am on Jan 8, 2009 (gmt 0)

I believe I have done this several times, but using gedit on Linux Mint. I actually opened every document and saved it again in utf-8 to be sure everything is like that.

But I remember such an alike problem a year ago when I was designing another site, and it was because of a css file. The problem is I can not find such file right now in my new site.

Another thing is that the static page which shows no problem, uses exactly the same set of css and javascript and html, Just does not pass through the perl script, so something with perl might be wrong.

This 31 message thread spans 2 pages: < < 31 ( 1 [2]
Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  
 

Home / Forums Index / Code, Content, and Presentation / Perl Server Side CGI Scripting
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved