Opera 10.62 was pushed last week - and unfortunately I do mean "pushed". Although I have reset my Preferences not to auto-update several times, apparently each new install reverts them so that I get the next version automatically. Because my preference setting doesn't seem to persist, I guess I now need to check it every time I install a new version
Opera was always such a user-friendly browser, but this feels more like something Apple would do.
The version 10.62 forced update came right in the middle of online trip planning session. So I patiently waited and after I launghed the new versoin, some of my browsing and locating had to be done over again - probably the fault of the websites I was using, but still quite frustrating.
However, there was now a bigger frustration about to land on me. In Google Maps when I click on some of the various pop-up icons, Opera 10.62 just freezes and I need to use Windows Task Manager to end the process. After four occurrences, I realized it wasn't a fluke (yes, I can be slow) and now I need to remember to do my Google maps browsing in Firefox. Guess there's some incompatible AJAX code or something.
This is now added to an earlier change in how websites are cached locally - as a .tmp file. For several versions now I cannot click View Source for an online page and have it display in Homesite - if Homesite is already open. If Homesite is not already open, then it tried to open but tells me that it "isn't a recognized text document" - even though I've added .tmp files to the Homesite config setting.
Since Adobe no longer supports Homesite I am losing hope that I'll ever regain this functionality. Another reason to use Firefox - sigh. I don't really like Firefox but the dysfunctional Opera issues are piling up lately and for some of them, I have no choice.
Msg#: 4201180 posted 3:25 am on Sep 14, 2010 (gmt 0)
Opera is badly supported by Google's geo products. Google MapMaker doesn't work at all in Opera, not in the 10.62 release and not in the previous ones. MapMaker has about the same issues as you describe now with Google Maps. Ajax popups won't come. Maybe they shared some code between the MapMaker and Maps products to make the two systems more "compatible" with each other.