homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Pubcon Platinum Sponsor 2014
Home / Forums Index / Microsoft / Microsoft Windows OS (XP/NT/Vista/Windows 7/8/10)
Forum Library, Charter, Moderators: bill

Microsoft Windows OS (XP/NT/Vista/Windows 7/8/10) Forum

OEM and Retail license

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Msg#: 3144299 posted 10:53 pm on Nov 2, 2006 (gmt 0)

Can anyone please explain me the difference between OEM and Retail version of Windows and let me know if OEM version of Windows is installed on one PC and i have upgraded my hardware where do i get the CD to reinstall the OS if it was shipped installed with my PC,without CD?

May i resell my OEM or Retail version of OS?

What are the reuirements to apply for an academic license and how much does it cost?



WebmasterWorld Administrator bill us a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month

Msg#: 3144299 posted 4:30 pm on Nov 3, 2006 (gmt 0)

article [microsoft.com]
OEM software licenses cannot be transferred from one computer system to another, even if the computer system on which it was originally installed is no longer in use.

XP Home EULA [microsoft.com]:
13. SOFTWARE TRANSFER. Internal. You may move the Software to a different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you must completely remove the Software from the former Workstation Computer. Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the Software may make a one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and Software to another end user, provided the initial user retains no copies of the Software. This transfer must include all of the Software (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity). The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the Software must agree to all the EULA terms.

The retail veriosn of Windows has more flexibility in terms of licencing. With OEM you get what you get and it's up to the vendor to supply you with media. MS won't help you there.

What are the requirements to apply for an academic license and how much does it cost?
Basically, I think you have to be a student or teacher to qualify. Enforcement varies. There are a lot of academic licensing information pages on the MS site. (ex. https://partner.microsoft.com/global/licensing/licensingprograms/academiclicensing)

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  

Home / Forums Index / Microsoft / Microsoft Windows OS (XP/NT/Vista/Windows 7/8/10)
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved