homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.161.214.221
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Become a Pro Member
Visit PubCon.com
Home / Forums Index / Microsoft / Microsoft IIS Web Server and ASP.NET
Forum Library, Charter, Moderators: ocean10000

Microsoft IIS Web Server and ASP.NET Forum

    
Problem with updating Access Database using ADO.NET
free_style




msg:4106058
 5:07 pm on Mar 28, 2010 (gmt 0)

Hello guys,

I am new in ASP, ADO and IIS, but I find a good tutorial in w3schools. I've started reading the ADO tutorial, because I want to create a simple web page, which is connected to a database.
I will use Access database (.mdb).

So, I've created two web pages. First one is for importing the data in fields, this data should be imported in the Access database. Second one is for importing the data from the fields to the database.

Here the code for the first page:
<html>
<body>

<form method="post" action="input.asp">
<table>
<tr>
<td>&#1053;&#1086;&#1084;&#1077;&#1088; &#1085;&#1072; &#1087;&#1088;&#1086;&#1090;&#1086;&#1082;&#1086;&#1083;&#1072;:</td>
<td><input name="protocolid"></td>
</tr><tr>
<td>&#1053;&#1086;&#1084;&#1077;&#1088; &#1085;&#1072; &#1082;&#1083;&#1080;&#1077;&#1085;&#1090;&#1072;:</td>
<td><input name="clientid"></td>
</tr><tr>
<td>&#1048;&#1084;&#1077; &#1085;&#1072; &#1082;&#1083;&#1080;&#1077;&#1085;&#1090;&#1072;:</td>
<td><input name="clientname"></td>
</tr><tr>
<td>&#1044;&#1072;&#1090;&#1072; &#1085;&#1072; &#1087;&#1086;&#1089;&#1077;&#1097;&#1077;&#1085;&#1080;&#1077;:</td>
<td><input name="date"></td>
</tr><tr>
<td>&#1055;&#1088;&#1086;&#1073;&#1083;&#1077;&#1084;:</td>
<td><input name="problem"></td>
</tr><tr>
<td>&#1056;&#1077;&#1096;&#1077;&#1085;&#1080;&#1077;:</td>
<td><input name="solution"></td>
</tr><tr>
<td>&#1050;&#1086;&#1084;&#1077;&#1085;&#1090;&#1072;&#1088;:</td>
<td><input name="comment"></td>
</tr><tr>
<td>&#1057;&#1083;&#1091;&#1078;&#1080;&#1090;&#1077;&#1083; &#1086;&#1090;&#1080;&#1096;&#1098;&#1083; &#1085;&#1072; &#1084;&#1103;&#1089;&#1090;&#1086;&#1090;&#1086;:</td>
<td><input name="employee"></td>
</tr><tr>
<td>&#1057;&#1083;&#1077;&#1078;&#1080;&#1090;&#1077;&#1083; &#1085;&#1072; &#1092;&#1080;&#1088;&#1084;&#1072;&#1090;&#1072; &#1087;&#1088;&#1080;&#1077;&#1083; &#1087;&#1088;&#1086;&#1090;&#1086;&#1082;&#1086;&#1083;&#1072;:</td>
<td><input name="contactperson"></td>
</tr>
</table>
<br /><br />
<input type="submit" value="&#1044;&#1086;&#1073;&#1072;&#1074;&#1080; &#1087;&#1088;&#1086;&#1090;&#1086;&#1082;&#1086;&#1083;&#1072;">
<input type="reset" value="&#1048;&#1079;&#1095;&#1080;&#1089;&#1090;&#1080;">
</form>

</body>
</html>


Here is the code for the second page:
<html>
<body>

<%
set conn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
conn.Provider="Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"
conn.Open "D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Protocols.mdb"

sql="INSERT INTO Protocols(ClientID,ClientName,"
sql=sql & "Date,Problem,Solution,Comment,Employee,ContactPerson)"
sql=sql & " VALUES "
sql=sql & "('" & Request.Form("clientID") & "',"
sql=sql & "'" & Request.Form("clientName") & "',"
sql=sql & "'" & Request.Form("date") & "',"
sql=sql & "'" & Request.Form("problem") & "',"
sql=sql & "'" & Request.Form("solution") & "',"
sql=sql & "'" & Request.Form("comment") & "',"
sql=sql & "'" & Request.Form("employee") & "',"
sql=sql & "'" & Request.Form("contactperson") & "')"

on error resume next
conn.Execute sql,recaffected
if err<>0 then
Response.Write("No update permissions!")
else
Response.Write("<h3>" & recaffected & " record added</h3>")
end if
conn.close
%>

</body>
</html>


So, my problem is that I get this error: "No update permissions!"

I've saw that this error happen really often, but there is not any solutions of it.
I've tried a lot of thing to solve the problem, like set permissions to database for IUSR_machine and EVERYONE; copy the database in the other place and so on.

Can you please help me with this problem?

Thank you!

 

Ocean10000




msg:4106066
 5:53 pm on Mar 28, 2010 (gmt 0)

Welcomed to WebmasterWorld.

A couple of guess's on whats causing the problems.
(1) Maybe the file is readonly, thus not updateable.
(2) Maybe the values being inserted are larger then the set field sizes.
(3) Maybe a single quote value is sliping in causing errors.

free_style




msg:4106068
 5:59 pm on Mar 28, 2010 (gmt 0)

Hi Ocean10000,

First, thank you for your answer!
Second, here is answer of this topics that you guess
(1) The file is not read only.
(2) The values is the right as they should be. I've also tried with null values.
(3) I've copied this code from w3schools, so I think it should be right.

Ocean10000




msg:4106138
 10:06 pm on Mar 28, 2010 (gmt 0)

try this to get a more discriptive error so we can proceed.

If Err.Number <> 0 Then
Response.Write(Err.Description)
Else
Response.Write("<h3>" & recaffected & " record added</h3>")
End If

bmcgee




msg:4106718
 4:18 am on Mar 30, 2010 (gmt 0)

Is your date field really a "text" field? If not, then you shouldn't wrap it in ticks but rather in hashes.

free_style




msg:4107781
 7:27 pm on Mar 31, 2010 (gmt 0)

Hello guys,
First I want to thank you for the asnwers.
Finaly, I solve the problem. First I comment this part:
If Err.Number <> 0 Then
Response.Write(Err.Description)
Else
Response.Write("<h3>" & recaffected & " record added</h3>")
End If
and saw that the problem is was exactly with the date field.
Thank you!

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  
 

Home / Forums Index / Microsoft / Microsoft IIS Web Server and ASP.NET
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved