Msg#: 4209220 posted 7:33 am on Sep 30, 2010 (gmt 0)
grrrrr - auto updating apache2 on LTS 8.04 has just broken LAMP. something to do with the php5-mysql packages not playing well. am now going to have to spend the morning reinstalling lamp (which according to the ubuntu forums is nigh-on impossible).
as if i didn't have anything better to do!
(our server runs on freebsd. i am tempted to throw ubuntu out and just stick to freebsd)
Msg#: 4209220 posted 7:47 am on Sep 30, 2010 (gmt 0)
Did your LAMP setup fully consist of packages from the original Ubuntu repository or did you install some of the packages manually? Normally repository packages should update without module incompatibility issues.
Msg#: 4209220 posted 8:33 am on Sep 30, 2010 (gmt 0)
fully standard install. although right at the beginning of setting up this system i did manually compile php5, later overwriting it with the standard packages. maybe this had an adverse effect?
so far, i have:
> apt-get remove php5 (and all necessary phph5 packages) restarted apache > apt-get install php5 (and all necessary packages)
however the php module wasn't being loaded in apache and i couldn't see phpinfo()
so i then had to > apt-get --purge remove libapache2-mod-php5
and then > apt-get install libapache2-mod-php5
i now have a full complete php5 installation. phpinfo() has all the modules loaded. i still can't connect to mysql, but i'm sure i can fix that :)
but coming back to your question, the versions it was running were the latest pkgs. i update the machine every time there is a bugfix. i left it on last night downloading the apache2 update. after rebooting this morning LAMP was broken.
it seems as though i just need to reinstall the php and php-mysql packages after the apache install, so that they are configured again correctly with the newest version of apache2. odd, cos i've never had a problem with ubuntu LAMP updates before.
Msg#: 4209220 posted 9:27 am on Sep 30, 2010 (gmt 0)
ok, i found the cause of the problem. i take it all back ubuntu, apologies :)
i was still using an old version of a php.ini file in a non-ubuntu-standard location: /etc/php.ini as opposed to /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini
when i reinstalled everything and put in a recommended php.ini (from /user/share/docs/php5-common/examples) and then reinstalled the zend-optimizer. now everything back to normal and completely from standard packages.