I'm trying to troubleshoot an email delivery problem for a client who has their website hosted on a dedicated linux server and hosts their email in-house on an exchange server. The messages (form submissions) from the website are sent through mambo's phpmailer and can be received by a variety of different addresses I have tested. They cannot receive messages in mailboxes on their own domain (exchange server), however.
The qmail error log says:
all addreses are uncheckable - need to skip scanning (by deny mode)
I get no response when pinging the mail server from the web host shell. My DNS knowledge is lacking, so I'm stuck here for the moment. Any help?
I checked out the DNS settings on a DNS testing site and it said everything was in order.
I noticed that in the qmail log the email addresses I'm having problems with are listed with the qmail local handlers
It seems like qmail is trying to deliver to local mailboxes, but they only exist on the remote exchange server. Although I had no entry in /var/qmail/control/locals for the domain, I did have one in /var/qmail/control/virtualdomains. I deleted that, restarted qmail, and sent a test email, after which I checked the logs and see, as the final entry
starting delivery 1: msg 8407810 to remote firstname.lastname@example.org
I haven't seen that message yet, so hopefully the problem is solved. I will confirm with the client.