I would probably go for the subpage.
The rule of thumb is that the homepage is worth more, but thats really based on the assumption that the home page has a higher PR. If this isn't the case then the subpage will have a better return.
But! I would also investigate the traffic aspects! Which page sees more traffic?
And take the owner into account - if you say 'put it where you think best' they will use their expert knowledge of the site to choose, and be more likely to leave it there for longer, as you seem friendly and its where they want it.
Just a thought...
your homepage has more value.
If all else is equal, assume the page with higher PR is best. But, usually there are other differences (all else is NOT equal).
>>> usually there are other differences
Some possible things to think about...
- As mentioned, which page will get you the most traffic?
- Which page is more tightly related to the theme of your site?
- Will there be a difference in placement of the link on the page between the two pages?
- Which page has less outbound links?
- Which page has more quality backlinks pointing to it?
- Which page has less obviously paid ads?
- Which page gets cached by the engines more often?
- Which page is updated more frequently?
- Which page has more quality, unique content?
- Which page has higher quality outbound links?
- Which page contains better on page elements for your target keywords/topic (title tags, headings, LSI factors, the usual)?
- Which page contains better off page elements (inbound anchor text, LSI factors, on page elements of the quality sites linking into them, the usual)?
Just a few things off the top of my head it might be helpful to look at.
suggarae has some great suggestions there.
From a purely SEO standpoint, all things being equal outbound link wise etc, if both pages are revelent to what you do, then IMHO homepage has more value, even if the visible pr is less in the Google bar.
Thanks... I think this is the answer I was looking for.
>IMHO homepage has more value, even if the visible pr is >less in the Google bar
yes i also agree the link from home page is more valueable even though pr is less
You should take into account a couple of factors.
If the page rank is higher it will give you more of a benifit if its the home page or not. It is seen as the most important page on the site for a reason.
What you should also take into account is the number of links and the position of your link on that page.
If the home page only has 20 - 30 links on the page but the sub page has 90 links your better going for the home page as you will get a greater share of the page rank.
>>>IMHO homepage has more value, even if the visible pr is less in the Google bar
I'm not saying you're right or wrong Cain (I'm a long standing believer that the toolbar PR is not worth basing decisions on), but I am curious as to why you believe, the homepage, as long as it carries equal outbound links and very general relevance, is always worth more without taking anything else into account. I am interested in hearing opinions - from all those who posted "homepage is worth more" on *why* - I think it would make interesting discussion.
IMHO, if this correlation:
1) Home Page with PR5 (www.mysite.com)
2) Sub-page with PR6 (www.mysitecom/sub-page.html)
keep safe long period and after the next update of Google PR won't have change, then sub-page has really larger weight.