homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.237.98.229
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Become a Pro Member
Home / Forums Index / Code, Content, and Presentation / JavaScript and AJAX
Forum Library, Charter, Moderator: open

JavaScript and AJAX Forum

    
Page works fine but hangs in IE
Internet Explorer, javascript, jquery
bearduk

5+ Year Member



 
Msg#: 4505959 posted 3:08 pm on Oct 9, 2012 (gmt 0)

Hi there,
I have a page that works fine in all browsers except internet Explorer but can not find out the problem. I have DebugBar on Internet Explorer but the browser stops working before I see the error. Has any one any ideas why only IE won't load this?
I'm using jquery Tools and jquery cycle plugin on the page.
Here's the page:
[keele.ac.uk ]
Any help greatly appreciated as I'm pulling my hair out!thanks

 

Hoople

10+ Year Member



 
Msg#: 4505959 posted 6:02 pm on Oct 9, 2012 (gmt 0)

Try running your page thru the W3C Markup Validation Service - it reports 10 errors.

bearduk

5+ Year Member



 
Msg#: 4505959 posted 7:52 pm on Oct 9, 2012 (gmt 0)

Thanks, yeah I had run that but didn't see any major probs other than code in the body rather than the head. The CMS I use requires the code to be in line unfortunately. I noticed IE8 in quirks mode worked fine so I also added the 'force IE8'

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" value="IE=8">

to see if that fixed the problem but it didn't (it did add more errors to the validation though!)
I'll try to iron out the other problems then at least I can rule out the w3c validation errors. Will update on the outcome.

rainborick

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member



 
Msg#: 4505959 posted 8:10 pm on Oct 9, 2012 (gmt 0)

When I tried it, the page fails to load all of the components. I'd suggest that you check to make sure that your server responds properly to all requests for documents loaded only by Internet Explorer.

bearduk

5+ Year Member



 
Msg#: 4505959 posted 8:27 pm on Oct 11, 2012 (gmt 0)

Hi all, I spent some more time on this today and had no luck. I moved the scripts to the head, I did a tail -f on the apache error log file and tried disabling all add-ons on IE. No conflicts but consistently crashing.
In the end I added

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE8" />

I had a read of the MSDN pages and it stated that this meta tag needed to be the first one within the head of the document (I hadn't done that last time I tried) This time it has worked so although I don't know what was causing the initial error, at least I have a forced IE8 mode that doesn't crash! This will have to siffice for me for now as I need to move onto other things unfortunately (plus we are having a redesign soon any way :) )

I'll be adding this fix to all pages tomorrow.

Thanks for taking a look and I hope this thread helps someone else.

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  
 

Home / Forums Index / Code, Content, and Presentation / JavaScript and AJAX
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved