Hi methode. I'm terribly sorry.....I should have left those details but was on the move so didn't have enough time earlier.
Right, well it's very odd indeed and nothing in my experience had prepared me for this little surprise. The problem was caused without my realising when I mass copied a whole host of unzipped apps (over 60MB) from my main repository over to htdocs in Xampp. Vista literally stripped out all the Java code during the process and had me running around like a headless chicken trying everything but dealing with the cause.
So I updated, reverted and generally checked everything possible, all the usual suspects without the remotest idea what had actually gone wrong. A lot of my time was spent searching the internet for info regarding the problem but I found nothing.
Anyway, having eliminated absolutely everything I could think of, I finally decided to do what I should have done first of all; that is to check to see whether the Java had been stripped out. Lo and behold it certainly had been well and truly gutted, which discovery was much to my immense relief.
To make absolutely certain nothing similar happened I went to the extent of deleting everything from the htdocs/test folder and copied over all of the original .zip files so that I could unpack them directly into that folder. It went like clockwork and I'm back up and running.
Hmmmmmmmm.......I'm now starting to worry about Vista. I would never have imagined this was possible but that's the story anyway. The funny thing is it all coincided with a Windows update approximately so I immediately jumped, incorrectly, to the conclusion that it was this that had somehow played a part so never even checked the detail. Talk about misleading one's self. lol :D
[edited by: RedRat_Chris at 5:02 pm (utc) on Jan. 10, 2009]